Thursday, February 19, 2009

99 Boxes of Clothes on the Floor

Tonight Brianna came over to help me sort clothes.

s/help/drink wine and watch/g

OK, that isn't entirely true -- she was also tasked with taking a hard line on any item of clothing on which I was wavering. Our mission was to end up with 4 piles: Keep and take, keep and store, donate, sell*. Guys, I have a lot of clothes, especially considering that I've moved 3 times in the past 2 years and each time I've taken bags - plural! - to Goodwill. Based on the size of the piles we built, I only wear about 1/4 of the clothes I own. And based on the items in the donate and sell piles, I should never, ever buy anything from the J.Crew Final Sale.

Counts so far: 2 boxes to take to Beacon's Closet (to sell, hopefully), 3 boxes and a bag for Goodwill, and 1 box each to take and store.

*Beacon's Closet prices your items and gives you either 35% of their asking price in cash, or 55% as store credit. Some of this stuff is brand new (with tags still on it - I KNOW, don't judge me) so I'm hoping to get a little something for it.

4 comments:

Candace said...

How much are you bringing with you to Argentina? You'll want new South America clothes anyway...

Anonymous said...

Just have fun--then walk away from any further decisions about the clothes. After all--they're JUST clothes.

Anonymous said...

It's a bad sign that my take-away from this post was a quick glance at the final sale sweaters at JCrew.

Lisa said...

holy gosh i could never do this. I desperately need to get rid of some of my clothes but i get around to wearing most of them! ahhh. you are brave. see you soon!